The Middlebury College women's tennis team rallied in a pair of doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead at the break en route to a 5-0 win over MIT in the second round of the NCAA Tournament Saturday afternoon at Falmouth Tennis Club. The sixth-ranked Panthers (12-6) earn a rematch with Bowdoin in Sunday's Regional Final. The two teams played to a 5-4 Bowdoin decision in their regular season meeting on April 13. Sunday's match will begin at noon, either outdoors at the Pickard Tennis Courts or indoors at the Maine Pines Tennis Club in Brunswick.
Middlebury easily cruised to a win at #2 doubles as Lok-Sze Leung/Ria Gerger defeated Candace Wu/Victoria Tam 8-2. Down early at #1, Brittany Faber/Leah Kepping earned an 8-2 win against Julia Hsu/Lauren Quisenberry to give the Panthers a 2-0 edge. Middlebury posted an impressive rally at #3 to complete the sweep, as sisters Katie and Dorrie Paradies rallied from deficits of 3-0 and 4-1 to take a 9-7 victory over Michelle Dutt/Sunnie Lampl.
The Panthers capped the 5-0 win with singles victories from Dorrie Paradies (6-0, 6-1) at #5 singles and Lok-Sze Leung at #1 singles (6-1, 6-4). Leung's match finished merely seconds ahead of Brittany Faber at #6, who closed out match point shortly thereafter.
Middlebury 5, MIT 0
1. Lok-Sze Leung (MID) def. Lauren Quisenberry (MIT) 6-1, 6-4
2. Ria Gerger (MID) vs. Vynnie Kong (MIT) 5-7, unfinished
3. Leah Kepping (MID) vs. Victoria Tam (MIT) 6-0, 4-5, unfinished
4. Margot Marchese (MID) vs. Candace Wu (MIT) 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
5. Dorrie Paradies (MID) def. Michelle Dutt (MIT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Brittany Faber (MID) vs. Meghana Vasireddy (MIT) 6-1, 5-4, unfinished
1. Brittany Faber/Leah Kepping (MID) def. Julia Hsu/Lauren Quisenberry (MIT) 8-4
2. Lok-Sze Leung/Ria Gerger (MID) def. Candace Wu/Victoria Tam (MIT) 8-2
3. Katie Paradies/Dorrie Paradies (MID) def. Michelle Dutt/Sunnie Lampl (MIT) 9-7